Ecoprod Label is a certification for sustainable live-action production formats (commercials, fiction, features, documentaries).
The Ecoprod Label is based on a freely accessible online reference document that lists a total of eighty actions to be implemented to reduce the environmental impact of a production. Each validated criterion earns points, contributing to the calculation of the sustainability score for a film, series, documentary, streaming program, advertisement, etcTo be eligible for the Ecoprod Label, a production must achieve a score of over 65% and validate the eight mandatory criteria outlined in the reference document. Subsequently, their application will be assessed by AFNOR Certification, which conducts audits on candidate works to verify the measures implemented as part of their green initiatives.
The Ecoprod Label gives you acess to:
- A common sustainability reference framework for the film, audiovisual, and advertising sectors.
- A comprehensive guide to reduce the production impact of a production at all stages and in all departments.
- A self-diagnostic tool by calculating the sustainability score of a production.
- The certification of your sustainable apporach through an audit conducted by an independent third party, AFNOR Certification :
The Ecoprod Label reference framework stems from extensive consultations with professionals in the audiovisual and environmental sectors. It leverages the expertise accumulated by Ecoprod and its partners over the past 12 years, including reference studies, collected data, and the development of tools and guides in collaboration with numerous experts. Unveiled in December 2022, the reference framework has undergone large-scale testing.
Since its introduction, approximately fifty productions have adhered to the Ecoprod Label reference framework, committing to minimizing their environmental impact. Their feedback has played a crucial role in refining the Ecoprod Label criteria and adapting the audit process to real-world conditions. Twenty productions have already received the Ecoprod Pioneer Label, and many more are on the way !
Currently, Ecoprod is conducting a study in collaboration with ADEME, IRCAV, and several research laboratories on the impacts of eco-production, based on productions following the Ecoprod Label.
The Ecoprod Label aims to stand as a lasting mark of quality. Consequently, Ecoprod intends to refine its reference framework over the years, maintaining a commitment to continuous improvement.
WHY SHOULD YOU GET THE CERTIFICATION ?
The Ecoprod Label aims to highlight audiovisual productions distinguished by their ambitious environmental initiatives and actions.
It certifies that the production has globally minimized its environmental impact, including the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, responsible resource management, waste reduction through circular economy practices, and mitigation of impacts on biodiversity. The Ecoprod Label goes beyond mere declarations of intent by certifying the commitment of a production and its teams to eco-production principles.
Advantages of obtaining the label include:
- Committing the production and the team to reducing its environmental impact and aligning with the ecological transition in the industry.
- Structuring the green approach by following the Ecoprod Label reference framework.
- Certifying the initiative through an independent third party to go beyond a mere declaration of intent.
- Serving as a benchmark for professionals seeking to improve their environmental impact from one production to another.
- Innovating and creating new production processes tailored to future environmental challenges.
- Qualifying for financial assistance subject to eco-conditionality clauses.
- Communicating your commitments to stakeholders, your team, and your audience. After the certification, a communication kit is provided to facilitate the promotion of your eco-friendly initiatives.
HOW TO GET THE CERTIFICATION ?
The certification includes a three-steps process :
- Contractualize the label application with AFNOR Certification on this very page
- Achieve a minimum score of 65% and validate all mandatory criteria.
- Provide evidence of implemented actions by submitting equivalent documentation to AFNOR Certification. An audit is conducted by AFNOR Certification (on-site, document-based, or through video conferencing as applicable) on a sample of criteria to ensure credibility and robustness to the labeling process.
Submission of the application file
- Contacting AFNOR Certification
- Submission of the application file and required attachments on the AFNOR Certification website
- Study of your file by AFNOR Certification
Planning and carrying out the audit
- At the end of the production period, transmission of the completed standards grid as well as the mandatory supporting documents to AFNOR Certification
- Study of your file by an AFNOR Certification auditor
- On-site or documentary audit on a sample of criteria
- Possible request for additional supporting documents
- AUDIT REPORT
- After validation of the audit report by Ecoprod, issue of an Ecoprod labeling certificate which specifies the level of labeling obtained
- Addition to the list of certified productions accessible here
A brief history of the Ecoprod Label
During the 2022 "Assises de l'éco-production", companies in the audiovisual and film sectors within the Ecoprod association made a commitment to establish a common label defining the criteria for environmentally responsible production. They demonstrated their dedication through a Joint Declaration with the aim of steering the entire audiovisual industry towards more environmentally friendly practices.
Around a hundred professionals from the film and audiovisual sectors, including broadcasters such as TF1, France Télévisions, ARTE, Canal+, and M6, as well as production companies like Banijay, Mediawan, ITV Studios, Haut et Court, professional associations like CST, production managers from ADP, schools like ESRA and INA, studios, and service providers, committed to using or promoting the adoption of the common framework from 2023.